TEAM AUNT UNCLE & COUSINS
What are World Series Aunts and Uncles?
Each team is assigned an Aunt/Uncle/Cousin family (World Series Volunteers) who help guide the team through world series week.
They work with managers and coaches (and team mom if they have one) to plan the weeks activities and give guidance on World Series protocol and commitments.
What does an Aunt/Uncle/Cousin family do?
Each team Aunt and Uncle take on various responsibilities such as:
- Communicate with the team prior to their arrival.
- Picks up their team at the Airport and transports them to the field or hotel.
- Bringing players to Everest Park to meet the World Series Staff who will provide them with: Uniform fitting and Team Pictures,
- Aunts stay with the team while coaches attend mandatory World Series meetings.
- Aunts are called on during all hours of the day and night to help young ladies, when it is not appropriate for a male coach.
- Show the team locations of practice fields and assist managers in finding additional locations.
- Write a weekly schedule with the manager based on game times, practice schedule and free time (Not all teams get a day off). Arrange for meals at the park if necessary to insure the team is well fed and well hydrated at the right time for maximum on field performance.
- Recommend local restaurants for the team to eat lunch and dinner (Players receive meal per Diem for each meal from Little League World Series). The tournament director has a list of restaurants that will provide specials to match their per Diem allowance. Some Aunts and Uncles have been known to throw a barbecues at their home or at a park at some point during the week.
- Recommend and escort team on local site seeing opportunities like Pike place market, space needle, Ferry Boat ride etc. Each team has very limited time to be tourist so help them be well organized so they can see as much as they can…
- Attend the World Series Awards Dinner (Thursday night).
- We have some nights coaches are up doing laundry until 2:00 AM – So some Aunts and Uncles volunteer to do all the team laundry for them.
In the end Aunt/Uncle/Cousin Families are here to help you win and help make the world series experience, a memory that you will remember fondly forever.
A Note to Parents: We have teams come to the World Series from all ethnic, social and economic environments. We’ve had the snooty wealthy teams, that thought making the girls stay in our 3 star, middle class hotel was beneath them and we’ve had teams so poor the entire team shares one bat.
Our priority is for the girls to have a safe and healthy environment to meet, socialize and make friends with softball players from around the globe. The world series is for the Girls, not for the parents. Making friends from around the world, will be one of the most rewarding experiences they will get this week.
We see year after year that if parents are around the hotel, girls will gravitate toward them and miss out on the true World Series Experience.